Thursday, April 21, 2011

Planning

Well, another successful workout at the gym last night.  I was not at all motivated to go but an Easter box from Grandma Irene arrived today and I ate too much candy.  I’m just glad that I didn’t have anyone on the treadmill next to me.  I can’t help it.  I always look at the people next to me and compare our treadmill settings.  One time I had a women who must have been in her late 60’s and she was smokin’ me!  You’d think that would be motivating, aahhh NO!  It made me feel like a loser!    
Monday, Wednesday and Friday are gym nights where we all go as a family.  These are the nights that we eat dinner when we get home.  It’s always after 8pm so I have to have something in the CrockPot waiting.  The trick is finding more of a variety to make in the crock.  It’s another challenge but we’re making it work.
I’m still trying to keep us on budget but sometimes I feel like it’s a fruitless task.  This morning I tried to be more organized and created a menu for the rest of the month.  It’s nice having a plan.  I’m really excited to start making things from scratch but now I’m on the search for more ideas.  I can’t wait for leftover Easter ham.  I’ll be making crustless quiche and split pea soup, two of my favorites.  I’ll post the quiche recipe soon.  Make it! You won’t regret it and kids seem to really like it.  It goes together easily and it’s got zucchini and spinach in it.  These are 2 veggies that I can’t get Elizabeth to eat so I love sneaking them in.  She’s enjoyed this recipe for a long time.  I can remember her as a little one in her highchair eating the little squares I gave her.  I find it odd that she doesn’t mind the green of the spinach.  She usually goes nutso if she finds a fleck of anything on her plate. 
Tonight it’s Mexican night.  Last night I marinated a flank steak and right now it’s in the CrockPot over a bed of onions.  I used a packet of fajita mix as a marinade but next time I’ll make my own seasoning mix.  I still have some packaged and jarred food and I don’t want to waste it so I’ll use it but not buy it again.  When it’s gone, it’s gone and I’ll make my own from then on out.  
Today I will be on the lookout for avocados.  I think Tim would like fresh guacamole.  We have a favorite restaurant in Phoenix, Los Sombreros, and they have the absolutely BEST guacamole.  I wonder if I can even come close to recreating it?  I better do some research and compare recipes again.  I will let you know what I find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment