Friday, April 1, 2011

CrockPot Pasta




1 box of your favorite pasta.  I used spirals
1 lb hamburger
1 medium onion (diced)
2 jars of your favorite spaghetti sauce
1 cup sliced mushrooms or canned is fine too
1 15oz container of ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (divided)
1 cup parmesan cheese

In a large bowl, combine ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and 1 cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese.  We all like cheese in my family so I sometimes put in a little extra mozzarella cheese.  Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling water.  Be sure to cook for only 1/2 the required time.  When pasta is drained well, add to the cheese mixture and combine well.
Meanwhile, brown the hamburger and diced onion until hamburger is browned and fully cooked.  Add one jar of sauce.  Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring often.
Spray the inside of the CrockPot with non-stick spray then line the bottom with some of the sauce from the unopened jar of sauce.  Then on top of that spoon in the pasta and cheese mixture, then add a layer of the hamburger and sauce mixture.  Follow with another layer of pasta and hamburger sauce.  Pour over the top the remaining sauce from the jar and cover the top with the remaining mozzarella cheese.  Add more if necessary.
Cook on low for 3-4 hours. 

Family Rating: 10
My picky eaters love this dish.  The pasta comes out great and is not mushy.  I earn a bonus if I have time to make homemade dinner rolls too.  I'll post that recipe and pictures next time I make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment