Wednesday, April 27, 2011

My KitchenAid Stand Mixer


I really could kick myself.  I’ve had my mixer for at least 10 years.  But I think I’ve used it more in the last month than I have in the entire time I’ve had it.  What an idiot I am.  This mixer is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  
The reason I haven’t used it much is that it’s been put away most of the time.  It was kind of an out of site out of mind situation.  Tim is active Army so we move quite a bit.  We live on Army installations, which I like very much but the homes are small and the kitchens and counter space are always minimal.  So, I’d store my beloved mixer on a shelf in the pantry.  These mixers are not some cheap, lightweight thing.  They are heavy and made to last for a long time.  So, I usually opted for my hand mixer instead hauling it out for the job.  Oh the horror.
Using this mixer makes cooking so easy.  You don’t have to hold it in place.  You turn it on and let it do its thing.  In the last month I’ve used every attachment it came with when I bought it.  The whip makes the best mashed potatoes!  Make them with sour cream and cream cheese.  Oh Man!  You wont be sorry.   I’ll post a pic and recipe for them the next time I make them.
You may notice that in time you will see more bread recipes posted here.  I hope I don’t offend the makers of bread machines, but I want to learn to make bread without it. If for no other reason then I need the counter space.  But voila!  my stand mixer has a dough hook too!  Making bread is an art, I know.  And one day I’d like to be an artist of fine homemade bread.  It will be a long process but I can’t wait to continue the lessons.
I checked out the KitchenAid website and found more accessories I can’t wait to try.  Maybe for mother’s Day I will ask for the Ice Cream Maker and then ask for the Grater and Slicer attachment for my Birthday.  Hmmm... check that.  I think I’ll ask for the Pasta Maker attachment.  I’ll make Tim and Elizabeth homemade spaghetti!  I’m really getting excited!
Now that I’m on my new cooking adventure, I’ve given my KitchenAid stand mixer a prominent place on my kitchen counter.   Right where it belongs.

No comments:

Post a Comment