Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Homemade Bisquick


So I was getting my things together to make my Crustless Quiche and realized I didn't have Bisquick.  Since I'm working hard not to buy any pre-packaged food I checked the Bisquick website and saw it's list of ingredients.  Hmmmm  I had all that I really needed already in my cupboard.  So then I did a few searches for recipes and found a few variations.  From those I came up with the following recipe.  I used it for the first time in the quiche and it worked fabulously!!  I was amazed at how easily it went together.  I had extra that I put into a Tupperware container, of course, and I dated the label since it'll keep for 4 months in the fridge.  I think I'm more excited about this recipe/experiment than anything else I've done this week!  One less box for recycling!


Some may not have or like the idea of using shortening like Crisco due to the trans fats but I didn't really give it a second thought since we don't eat a lot of junk food that would have a lot of trans fats in it.   I think I may play with the recipe later to include whole wheat flour instead of white.  I'm all about healthy baby steps!


3 C Flour
1 1/2 T Baking Powder
1/2 T Salt
1/2 C Shortening


In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.  I don't have a sifter so I whisked these ingredients together really well.  Cut the shortening into the flour mixture using a pastry blender, forks or even your finger tips.  It took no time at all with the pastry blender.


Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 months.


Family Rating:  Tim and Elizabeth could care less but I LOVED this!  10!!  10!!  10!!

No comments:

Post a Comment