Sunday, April 24, 2011

Grandma Sue's Parsley Potatoes


This is grandma's recipe and I made sure the dish was served in her "Blue Bowl"  According to Grandma Sue, it was sent from the UK by her mother in a brown paper bag!  I love that it's now mine and I love using it but it scares the crap out of me too.  I'm always scared I'm going to drop it in the sink and breaking it.  If that ever happened I think I would need a sedative.  When we move I always pull it aside and make sure the packers take extra special care with it.  I have no problem telling them that I will come for them if it's broken when it arrives!  


I hope you like these potatoes.  They are as plain as plain can be but are just soooo good with ham.  Oh and the leftovers???  I mash them up and brown them in a little butter in a fry pan.  I can't wait for lunch tomorrow!

4-5 large red potatoes
3 T butter
4 T flour
4 C milk
3 T+ Parsley Flakes
Fresh ground pepper to taste


Peel and cut potatoes into chunks and cook them in boiling water.  They will cook quickly so start the sauce right away.

While potatoes are cooking, melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat.  Whisk in four and make a roux.  Add milk one cup at a time, whisking constantly.  As it thickens add more milk.  When it's as thick as you like it, add the parsley and black pepper.  I like the consistency to be like a thick gravy, not thin and runny.
Drain potatoes and put back in their pot then pour the prepared sauce over the top.

Family Rating: 10
This is not a fancy dish by any means.  I don't put salt in it because I figure there is enough salt in the ham.  The perfect bite is when the ham and potatoes are eaten together!  delish!!!  

1 comment:

  1. I remember the first Margie made this, I thought I was going to hate it, it being so bland and all. To my surprise I didn't and it is now part of our regulars.

    When we have Ham Steak, I like to cover half the ham with them, but I'll leave the ham uncovered of we have a glazed ham like last night. My favorite is a bite of ham with potato both covered in the gravy. If there's any gravy left, I like cleaning the plate with a roll. Hmmm-hmmm-hmmm-good!

    ReplyDelete