Monday, April 25, 2011

The Egg and I



The day after Easter is a busy day for me.  I begin making Tim's split pea soup by boiling the ham bone, excess fat and ham bits.  When it's done I chill it to raise the fat so I can skim it off before actually making the soup.  


While that's going I peel the Easter Eggs to make egg salad and deviled eggs.  Eggs are my friend.  I will eat them almost any way they are served.  Elizabeth even loves scrambled eggs.  Thank God!  So, obviously eggs are a loved piece of our diet.  This might make some of you cringe.  I know that the latest trend is to ditch the yolks.  I say PiShaa!  If you cook them without the yolk why bother?  I see egg white omelets on menus and I get the shivers.  Now this is just my opinion so don't make nasty comments but I think I'd rather eat fewer whole eggs than a daily egg white.  I have guilt if I have to throw out a yolk.  Don't worry, I know it's the yolk that holds all the cholesterol.   But I'm sure tomorrow there will be more research to prove that there is something in the egg whites that will kill us too.  If you try hard enough you can gather research to prove anything.  Is it just me or are we supposed to be afraid of whole food?  The best doctors and nutritionists will tell you to eat a healthy diet consisting of a wide variety of whole foods including plenty of fruits and vegetables.  A healthy diet accompanied with adequate exercise is what's best.  I won't buy packaged egg whites like Egg Beaters any longer.  You pour it out of the container and it's Yellow!  I wasn't born yesterday, I know egg whites aren't yellow.  So, while they say that the product is 99% egg whites the other 1% is food coloring and thickeners.  Oh, man!  Just give me a yummy egg once in a while.  I haven't seen a doctor on TV or on the internet yet that tells us to eat artificial colors, flavors or thickeners.  Americans are so quick to jump on a bandwagon.  I don't care what the bandwagon is but we're always willing to jump on board.  But not me.  I want my eggs please!

No comments:

Post a Comment