Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Split Pea Soup


Now I know that Split Pea Soup is an acquired taste, just the thought can send some into shivers.  But I've been making this for Tim since we've been married and it never fails.  I always make it after a fancy ham dinner since I have the bone to make the broth.  When he knows ham is on the menu he gets excited about the soup he knows is coming.   Please forgive the picture.  I am not sure anyone can make Split Pea Soup look good!

It was finished tonight so I gave Tim a small sampling before dinner. Not only did he give it a thumbs up but Elizabeth did too!  High Five!  I almost cried!

1 bag of dried peas
1 onion
4-5 diced carrots  (we love carrots here so I load it up)
2 C diced ham
Broth made from ham bone and trimmings

In a large pot, cover ham bone and trimmings with water and bring to a boil.  Water should be about 3 inches above the bones.  Reduce heat and simmer for at least an hour.  I sometimes let it go for longer.  

Remove the bone and the bits and chill the broth in the fridge.  When the fat solidifies trim it off.   

Rinse the peas and clean out any foreign substances.  Sometimes you might find a small stone.  Be sure to read the package for additional rinsing instructions. Sometimes the bag of peas include a packet of Ham Flavoring.  I only make this soup with homemade broth so I toss this packet of unknown ingredients in the trash.

Bring the broth back to a boil and add onion, ham, carrots and the rinsed peas.  When it reaches a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for an hour or so, stirring often.  The soup gets thick so contents tend to settle and can scorch.  The soup is done when the carrots are tender and the peas have all broken up.  Tim likes it thick but feel free to add water to make it the consistency you like.


Family Rating: 10!! 10!! 10!!  It wasn't pretty on the serving plate but boy was it delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment