Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Very Wheaty Bread



I am still searching for that perfect bread recipe.  This bread is actually close but it's very dense and "wheaty"  if you like that kind of thing than this recipe is for you.  I actually liked how the loaves came out and I like the flavor and texture too.  It was Tim and Elizabeth that weren't crazy about it.  Wait!  I take that back.  Elizabeth had 3 pieces of it toasted the other morning.  I think she poo poo'd it before because she heard Tim say something.  I'm not sure.  Anyway, I will make this again but I think I will make some adjustments so it's not as wheaty and dense.  I hope I can get it right soon.  Wouldn't it be great to be able to stop buying flavorless bread from the store?


1 1/4 C Warm Milk
1 Egg, Beaten
2 T Butter, Softened
1/4 C Honey
3/4 tsp Salt
1 C Bread Flour
3 C Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 C Milled Flax Seed
1 1/2 tsp Yeast


Combine milk, honey and yeast and allow to proof 10 minutes.  Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining dry ingredients.
Add egg and butter to the yeast mixture then add dry ingredients 1 cup at a time until combined well.  With my dough hook attached, I used my KitchenAid stand mixer to knead the dough 10 minutes.  I kept extra bread flour handy in case the dough was still to sticky.
When smooth and elastic, I turned the dough into a large bowl that had been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.  I covered it with a towel and allowed to rise in a warm place for a little more than an hour.
The dough should have doubled in size.  Then I punched it down and divided into to loaves and placed them in loaf pans coated with non-stick cooking spray.  I covered them and let them rise in a warm place 40 minutes (next time I'll do an hour).
I baked them in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.  They were golden brown and sounded hollow when I thumped them on the bottom.




I think the next time I make these I will omit the flax seed and see how that works.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment