Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie



It was a chilly rainy day and I wanted comfort food.  I wracked my brain trying to think of something I hadn’t had in a while and my eyes went wide with excitement at the thought of Chicken Pot Pie.  I didn’t have store bought crust so I had to make my own.  It’s been a while since I’ve made crust from scratch and it did take me a little longer to get it all together but it was worth it.  But by all means, don’t feel like you have to bust yourself like I did.  Store bought crust is just fine!  This just tasted so good to me.  It'd been a long time since I'd had it homemade.  It was well worth the effort.
1 lb Cubed Chicken Breasts
1 C Carrots, Sliced
1C Frozen Peas
1/2 C Celery, Sliced
1 Small Onion, Chopped
1/3 C Butter
1/3 C Flour
1/2 tsp Salt  (I omitted )
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Poultry Seasoning
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 C Chicken Stock  (I used bouillon cube and omitted salt)
2/3-1 C milk
In large skillet, add chicken, carrots and celery.  Add enough water to cover and put the lid on the skillet and cook 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, sauté onion in melted butter until they are clear.  Add flour and combine well.  Add milk and stock and stir until thickened.  Add poultry seasoning, salt and pepper, frozen peas and the prepared chicken, carrots and celery.  Combine well and simmer 10 minutes.
Place bottom crust in pie plate, trim edges to the side of the pie plate.  Pre-cook for 5-6 minutes.  Add the filling and cover with top crust.  Trim the crust to 1 inch larger than the pie plate edge then fold it under the bottom crust.  Crimp the sedges to seal.  Cut 4-5 1inch slits in the top crust.  If you like, brush the crust with an egg wash.  I didn't this time but I think I will the next.
Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Family Rating: 9
I LOVED this but my husband gave it 9.  He’s not the biggest fan of Pot Pie but he liked this well enough to add it to the rotation.  Elizabeth picked at the carrots and chicken but didn’t like the pie crust.  It was new to her and she didn’t want to try it.  She was missing out.  We had a few leftovers but we had it for lunch the next day.  YUMMY!

No comments:

Post a Comment